Thursday, October 14, 2010

LAST U.S. EXIT

At the U.S./Mexico border along Interstate 5 is an extremely conspicuous road sign that reads, "LAST U.S. EXIT".  It is there so that the extremely directionally challenged, absent-minded or already-drunk will not accidentally cross over into Tijuana.  I have never missed the sign, although I do vaguely remember once in college driving perpendicular to the freeway across four lanes to reach the exit (but that's a different blog).

I have officially arrived at the LAST U.S. EXIT.  Tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn I board a plane bound for...Jersey (gotcha!)  Really, I do.  I have an extremely short, slightly nail-biting layover in Newark.  In my U.S./Mexico analogy, I equate this layover with the "U-TURN TO U.S." sign that allows drivers who missed the LAST U.S. EXIT just one more chance to sneak home while exempting border patrol from strip searches and paperwork.  I hope that you will NOT hear from me in Newark, as this would probably indicate that I missed my connection and am now bored and angry in the Newark airport on standby.  I hope that the next time I post to this blog, I will be in Athens.

Haley is now at Camp Bow Wow.  The decision to take her there was cemented when I learned of the $1.99 iPhone app that enables me to watch her playing with the other dogs in real time from Egypt.

I dropped her off this morning.  She didn't seem to mind - she was too excited to go play.  I, on the other hand, bawled like a little girl, having never been away from her for this long since she first rescued me at the Helen Woodward Animal Shelter.  I have utilized my new iPhone app a few times at work today, and I have come to the conclusion that Haley's former separation anxiety has transferred itself to me.  

So, the hard part is over, right?

2 comments:

  1. Soooo looking forward to your Athens post! Good job with your pooch - she loves and trusts you enough to feel safe :) Safe travels Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! My doggy day care doesn't have cameras or an app. Going to have to talk to them about that!

    ReplyDelete